With the days stretching longer, amid warmer temperatures and abundant sunshine, the summer season arrives at a time with different circumstances than in years past, but in Montgomery County, the fun, tastes, and thrills of summer continue! In a county known for its sprawling hills and landscapes, bountiful walking trails, parks and locally-owned businesses, preparations are well underway to make the 2020 Summer season as fruitful as ever!
Whether it’s fruit/flower picking, horseback riding, taking in a movie from the comfort of your vehicle, or simply enjoying the flavors of summer in a soft-serve cone, there is bound to be an activity or business to meet the needs of all this season. In this 2020 Summer Guide to Montgomery County, discover easy and exciting ways to navigate the Summer season, as the local towns mobilize to meet the current climate and needs of its community. Keep checking back for regular updates as the situation is consistently adapting and adjusting.
Read On For:
While many of the typical Summer events are cancelled or postponed, there are still numerous other seasonal experiences ready and willing to step up to the plate and provide the community with unique and equally satisfying encounters. Delight in some of these wonders this season with the chance of adapting it into a regular Summer tradition for years to come:
Shankweiler’s Drive-In Theatre
4540 Shankweiler Rd (Route 309), Orefield
The 2020 Summer Season officially begins Friday, June 5th and is expected to continue through September, on a nightly basis during the months of June, July & August through Labor Day and switches to weekends only in September. NOTE: Their schedule is always subject to change, especially considering COVID-19.
Admission Cost (Includes the option to view one or both movies for one flat rate): $10 (Adults & Children 13 and older); $7 (children 12 and under); Children under 2 are FREE.
- Regarded as “America’s Oldest Drive-In,” the 2020 Summer Season marks the theatre’s 86th season in operation! Offering two films (8:50 pm & 10:50 pm showings) each evening, families can enjoy a film (either both or one for the SAME price!) from the comfort of their vehicle. With regular movie theatres currently closed, the opportunity to view a film on the big screen is possible with safety first and foremost encouraged. Patrons are asked to maintain a 6 feet distance from other vehicles and visitors, wear face masks, adhere to social distancing and hand washing when not in their vehicles.
- Be sure to check their Facebook page and website each week for movie schedule updates and other pertinent changes!
Montgomery Township Community & Recreation Center Summer Concert Series
(Currently on-hold & unsure if it will transpire this season due to COVID-19 regulations):
Montgomery Township Community & Recreation Center, 1030 Horsham Road, Montgomeryville
June 25-August 27th; Thursday Evenings, 7-8:15 pm
- Enjoy the sounds of summer in the great outdoors with the evening glow as backdrop. Be sure to bring along your own lawn chairs and snacks, as they will not be provided. Take in a new band each Thursday evening and dance the night way under the stars.
- Be sure to regularly check the township website for updates as all events are currently on-hold.
King of Prussia Town Center Live Summer Music Series – Virtual Style
- Enjoy the sounds of live music from the comfort of home or wherever your travels take you this Summer each Friday evening on Facebook Live from 6-8 pm. Tune in this summer as the Keith Chastin Trio performs alongside various collaborators (a different one each Friday!) and changing set lists week to-week. Watch with friends, family or on your own for a jovial nighttime treat!
Maple Acres Farm & Market – Pick-Your-Own Strawberries & Flowers
2656 Narcissa Road, Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
Hours of Operation: 8am-6:30pm, DAILY
- Family owned and operated since 1916, Maple Acres Farm & Market is a prominent Montgomery County landmark offering the community fruit-picking, a plethora of locally-grown produce and flowers, as well as other essentials (meats, dairy & more).
- Strawberry-picking began June 5. Check their Facebook page frequently for updates and special guidance regarding policies and procedures for safety & hygiene.
- While awaiting strawberry picking, stop by and visit some of the animals housed on the farm, including ducks, baby chicks, chickens, cows, pigs, goats, ponies, donkeys & horses! Also be sure to pick up fresh, locally-grown produce such as asparagus, romaine lettuce and also fresh-cut flowers (flower-picking is also schedule to commence later on in the Summer season, check their Facebook for regular updates!)
- Cultivate your own garden this summer as perennials, annuals, herbs & veggie plants are all in-stock and plentiful!
- Masks are required and not provided; however, gloves and hand sanitizer are both available.
- Prior to picking berries firsthand, enjoy them Slurpee-style as the farm offers fresh strawberry slushies to cool down with!
Lansdale Farmers Market (2020 Montco Happening List Winner)
Penndale Middle School, 400 Street
Saturdays, June 6 to November 21
The market will open with 11 vendors the first week, with more added the next week. Customers are asked to wear a mask, follow social distancing rules, and follow directional signs through the market. They are also asked to only bring one person from a household. Times have been assigned to letters of the alphabet, and customers are asked to show up at the times that correspond with the first letter of their last names. For a list of the times, please visit www.dalefarmersmarket.org.
Click here to read our full 2020 Farmer’s Market Guide.
Upper Gwynedd Township Summer Breeze Concert Series
1 Parkside Place, North Wales
July 8: Lolly and YoYo
July 22: Greaseband
July 29: Philly Funk Authority
August 5: Patrice and the Show
August 12: Dueling Pianos
Upper Gwynedd Township Free Movies in the Park
1 Parkside Place, North Wales
Friday, July 10: Toy Story 4
Friday, July 17: Descendants 3
Friday, July 24: DoLittle
Friday, July 31: Aladdin
Free movies open to the public! Movie will start at dusk. Digz Dogs Food Truck will also be there.
Abington Art Center – Art Anywhere Virtual Art Classes
515 Meetinghouse Road, Jenkintown
215-887-4882 ext. 100
- Though the art center is currently closed until mid-June for in-person programming & events, online, the art fun and creativity continue and is in full swing! Channel your inner artist this summer, virtually.
- Offered in a variety of specialties including landscape painting, blind contour drawing and numerous others, discover a hidden artistic talent or cultivate the one you already knew you had with online classes conducted via Zoom. Register online (prices vary per class) and even consider applying to ARTiculated (an Online Exhibition/Gallery accepting entries from May 22-July 1)
Sandy Hill Farm – Barnyard Fun, Sandy Hill Farm Club & Horseback Riding
1918 Sandy Hill Road, Plymouth Meeting
- For over 30 years, family-owned and operated, 10-acre Sandy Hill Farm has been proudly serving the Montgomery County community with its expertise and knowledge in animals of all kind, with a special focus on horses.
- For the little ones – ages 2-5 this summer (and their caregivers), enjoy fun on the farm and learn about various animals, including horses (a unicorn has even been spotted!) in their Barnyard Fun program offered Tuesdays/Thursdays in the mornings and evenings throughout the month of June!
- New for the season in-lieu of a summer camp, Sandy Hill Farm is offering Sandy Hill Farm Club as a riding program for all ages and is limited to 10 students. Offered as a weekly program from 9 am-3 pm (June 15-September 4), students will engage in horseback riding lessons, as well as trail rides, taught by expert riding instructors. The club is first-come, first-serve, with strict COVID-19 guidelines and policies in place to maintain the safety and well being of all attendees and staff.
- Beyond the two program offerings, horseback riding lessons are also available for any age participant and size horse, as well as half-hour trail rides on a horse. Appointments are required for both and can be made via phone.
Food & Drink:
Enjoying a favorite Summer beverage or delicacy may be consumed in a different locale or setting this Summer, but rest assured, many local restaurants, creameries and vendors are rising to the occasion and accommodating customers through advance ordering, curbside pickup and even delivery! With some restrictions being lifted in the coming days and weeks, dining al fresco will become an option again at select locations. As with all listings, be sure to check and confirm availability before heading over or making plans.
Delight in the cool and creamy side of Summer with these local spots offering some of the freshest, creamiest, and homemade options available:
Carminati Creamery (2020 Happening List Winner)
448 N. Easton Road, Glenside
- Slated to open June 5th for the Summer season!
- Enjoy unique and refreshing flavors such as banana, salted caramel, coffee, vanilla, chocolate and even an apple cider sorbet!
Downtown Scoop (2020 Happening List Winner)
11 W. Chestnut Street, Souderton
Friday-Sunday, 3-9pm; Curbside Pick Up Only, call to order
- Enjoy the creamy and rich flavors of locally-sourced, small-batch ice cream, including a vegan vanilla option each weekend, with curbside-pick-up only – call in to order. Offering a vast array of flavors, such as Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Coffee, Toasted Coconut, and many more, each flavor is made to order and scooped at the peak of freshness. It’s a sweet side of Summer, for sure!
Freddy Hill Farms (2020 Happening List Finalist)
1440 Sumneytown Pike, Lansdale
Hours: Farm Store – Monday-Wednesday: 9am-9pm; Thursday-Friday: 9am-7pm; Saturday: 9am-9pm; Sunday: 11am-9pm; Masks must be worn; Open for both Take-Outand Curbside Pickup (as of late May) – call upon arriving and provide credit card information for payment.
- Hand-dipped and locally-produced, a vast array of ice cream flavors are available (Peanut Butter Cup, Mint Chocolate Chip, Cookie Monster and many more!), including some seasonal favorites, such as Lemon Cookie Crunch, which will make its anticipated return later this summer! Also enjoy milkshakes, flurries, ice cream cakes, or even a half-gallon of your favorite flavor!
Merrymead Farms (2020 Happening List Finalist)
2222 S. Valley Forge Road, Lansdale
Hours: Milk & Ice Cream Store: Monday-Saturday = 9am-8pm; Sunday = 10:30am-8pm; Ice-Cream Take Out Window: Monday-Friday = 5pm-8pm; Saturday & Sunday = Noon-8pm; Curbside is available but LIMITED to immunocompromised, seniors and parents with young children and is only available Monday-Friday, 10am-6pm (same-day pickup may be available but next day is encouraged due to limited staffing and safety precautions) with a $3 convenience fee charged to orders under $50 and a 10% fee added to orders of $50 or more.
- Indulge in more than 32 hand-dipped flavors (such as Cappuccino Crunch, Graham Slam, MerryBerry Streusel and many more!) of ice cream and even an orange sherbet, in a variety of forms, such as cups, cones, sundaes, milkshakes, ice cream cakes and even half-pint or pint containers to go! For those looking for non-dairy, be sure to check out their assortment of water ice available in flavors such as Swedish Fish, Strawberry and Mango!
Yojones (2020 Happening List Frozen Yogurt Winner)
832 Bethlehem Pike, Spring House
Hours: CLOSED Monday-Wednesday; Thursday-1-9pm; Friday & Saturday – 1pm-10pm; Sunday – 1-8pm.
- Since 2013, Yojones has been offering customers a choice of over 12 soft-serve frozen yogurt flavor options such as cheesecake, cake batter and more, plus shakes, acai bowls, smoothies, Belgian Waffles and even hard ice cream! Flex your creativity, with more than 50 toppings available, each experience can be a unique and personal one.
- Typically a self-serve operation, it is now operated as solely window service for health & safety reasons.
Food & Cocktails To-Go:
Though ice cream and other creamy treats are often thought of as summer’s claim-to-fame, there are countless other savory options and fried favorites, including refreshing cocktails and other sweet sips to enjoy locally, via curbside, delivery or even al-fresco.
Pumpernick’s Deli (2020 Happening List French Fries Finalist)
917 Bethlehem Pike, North Wales
Hours: Curbside Take-Out: Tuesday-Sunday, 10am-7pm, CLOSED on Mondays; orders can be placed online or via phone.
- Enjoy deli and savory favorites including omelettes, bagels, burgers, assorted sandwiches, desserts, and countless others in the comfort of home. Conveniently order online, or call in your order and savor comforting flavors of the summer season.
- Even enjoy family dinner specials (main entrée, sides, salads, and dinner rolls) where recent offerings include chicken marsala, as well as vast deli and breakfast platters.
- Complement your meal with a 6-pack of beer, also available for take-out/pick-up.
Trappe Tavern (2020 Happening List Outdoor Dining Winner)
416 W. Main Street, Trappe
Hours: Temporary: Sunday-Thursday – Noon-8pm; Friday & Saturday- Noon-9pm.
- Now offering daily lunch specials beginning at noon & daily dinner specials beginning at 4 pm, such as BBQ Baby Back Ribs, Whole Lobster & Crab Legs. They are also serving a host of cocktails such as Orange Crush, Creamsicle Crush, Mojitos and more in 16oz and 32 oz options! Cool down with their slushies and beer all available for curbside pickup! Their full, regular menu is also available.
- Noted and celebrated for their outdoor dining capabilities and area, they’re thrilled to welcome customers back after June 5!
Via Veneto Pizza & Italian Ice (2020 Happening List Water Ice Winner)
2688 Dekalb Pike, East Norriton
Hours:Monday-Thursday = 11am-9:30pm; Friday-Saturday = 11am-10:30pm; Sunday = 2-9pm
- Enjoy a complete meal; lunch/dinner, beverage (a cocktail or soft drink), as well as dessert at this multi-faceted, versatile establishment! Recently introduced are 16oz slushies made with their homemade Italian Ice! Available in flavors such as Strawberry Daiquiri, Mango, Pina Colada and Lemon, it is the ultimate refreshment!
- Cool down with over 21, homemade flavors of Italian Ice, including sugar-free options. Whether it is Black Cherry, Mango, Cotton Candy, Orange Vanilla Swirl, Root Beer Float, or a host of others, each is sure to provide a refreshing treat to make the Summer even sweeter!
Montgomery County entered the “yellow phase” of reopening on Friday, June 5. And with that, restaurants can now offer outdoor dining. Here are just a few places that you can enjoy eating on premise in the fresh air:
Trappe Taven (2020 Happening List Winner for Outdoor Dining), Collegeville
Joseph Ambler Inn (2020 Happening List Finalist for Outdoor Dining), North Wales
Chadwick’s Restaurant & Bar (2020 Happening List Finalist for Outdoor Dining), Audubon
Redstone American Grill (2020 Happening List Finalist for Outdoor Dining), Plymouth Meeting
Creekside Sports Bar (2020 Happening List Finalist for Outdoor Dining), Limerick
Deterra Restaurant & Wine Bar, Ambler
P.J. Whelihan’s, Blue Bell
Parc Bistro, Skippack
MaGerk’s Pub & Grill, Horsham and Fort Washington
The Farmer’s Daughter, Blue Bell
Bridgets Steakhouse, Ambler
Piero’s Italian Restaurant, Huntingdon Valley
Justin’s Carriage House, Skippack
Roots, East Norritown
Coyote Crossing, Conshohocken
Jesse’s Barbecue, Souderton
Health & Beauty:
There has never been a better time than now to invest in health and well-being and with the arrival of the summer season, there is a plethora of opportunities to invest in physical movement, exercise, and at-home pampering!
900 Heritage Drive, Pottstown
Smiles are the new hug, so you want your smile to look the best it can! At ROG, it’s all about YOU, uncompromised care and affordable treatment options that allow patients to have a Fantastic smile without adding hassle to busy schedules.
Invisalign® is a great treatment option for parents because it’s discrete and allows for no interruption to your lifestyle aesthetically or functionally.
The team at ROG passionately believes they’re changing lives one smile at a time and strongly believe in being involved in the community in which they practice.
Life is better with a FANTASTIC smile! ROG is now reopened for in-person appointments. TEXT or call 610-374-4097 today or visit www.fantasticsmiles.com to schedule an appointment and learn more about the ROG difference.
Beauty Releaf is an anti-aging company that focuses on the skins wellness and its ability to repair, balance, detox, and heals itself. This approach helps to slow and reverse the aging process. Their pure 100% natural product line is free of toxins or synthetic compounds.
Their CBD-Infused Multi-Tasker is the perfect unisex skincare solution. It is a “one and done” anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, face serum. and light moisturizer in one. It will help soothe, calm, reduce redness, hydrate, and protect the skin.
You’ll also want to check out their Spring/Summer Collection of CBD-infused Lip-Taskers. No ordinary lip glosses, they’re an all-natural intense lip treatment combined with the texture and finish of an ultra-luxurious highly pigmented lip gloss. Formulated with powerful antioxidant enriched ingredients and infused with the gold standard of Full-Spectrum CBD to help protect, prevent and reduce inflammation and signs of aging while soothing, healing and softening the lips.
View this post on Instagram
Whole Body Yoga Studio (2020 Happening List Yoga Winner)
103 E. Walnut Street, North Wales
Keep active and stay in touch with familiar yoga instructors by signing up for a virtual class conducted on a regular and daily basis! Sign up on the website or via their official app and enjoy instruction in the accompaniment of a familiar face; take your yoga instruction outdoors at home, or indoors, the choice is yours!
Nourishing Storm Studio & Café (2020 Happening List Yoga Finalist)
124 N. York Road, Hatboro
Hours: CLOSED Sunday-Wednesday; Thursday – 8am-2pm; Friday – 9am-2pm; Saturday – 8am-2pm
- Offering an array of options for the community, Nourishing Storm is now providing live virtual classes, pre-recorded classes & programs, as well as Storm TV (free recordings of meditations and sample classes!). Sign up for classes online via website.
- In addition to yoga and wellness classes, there is also a full café offering curbside pickup! Enjoy a vast array of healthy, nourishing options such as elixirs, tonics, smoothies, lattes, teas, juices, and more, all freshly-made with real ingredients and nothing artificial! Fuel your appetite with a healthy bites such as a Rainbow Quinoa Salad, “Love By the Moon” panini comprised of pesto, artichoke, sundried tomatoes and more! Even enjoy a “Funky Monkey Waffle,” or an acai/smoothie bowl! Conveniently order online for fast and easy pickup.
With warmer weather, longer days and parks, trails and playgrounds reopening, there’s never been a better time to enjoy the great outdoors, especially with the Summer seasons now underway! Check out some of these local spots for a fun stroll, jog, run, hike, or engage in golfing and swimming.
Parks & Trails:
Cross Country Trail
From its junction with the Schuylkill River Trail in Conshohocken, the Cross County Trail heads north through a mix of urban and suburban areas. Currently, three miles are completed from Conshohocken to Germantown Pike in Plymouth Township.
Evansburg State Park
851 May Hall Road, Collegeville
Fort Washington State Park
500 South Bethlehem Pike, Fort Washington
The 20-mile Perkiomen Trail follows the route of the Perkiomen Creek from Oaks to Green Lane Borough. It connects to the Schuylkill River Trail and the Audubon Loop. For most of its length, the “Perky,” as it is known by many, uses the former rail bed of the Perkiomen Line of the Reading Railroad.
Norristown Farm Park
1500 Upper Farm Road, Norristown
Schuylkill River Trail
This multi-use trail runs from Philadelphia to Mont Clare and was built on the Pennsylvania Railroad right of way and parallels the Schuylkill River as it passes through various townships and boroughs.
The Wissahickon Trail stretches from the Wissahickon Creek from Stenton Avenue in Whitemarsh Township to a point near Lansdale Borough.
A Bike Tour of the Homes & Gardens of the Main Line
Grab your bike and take a ride through the historic homes and gardens comprising the Main Line! Take in vast homes, sprawling gardens and keep yourself fit while doing so. Refer to this handy map for navigation.
Public Golf Courses
Bella Vista Golf Course
2901 Fagleysville Road, Gilbertsville
Offering vast, landscaped grounds, enjoy a round of golf on a multi-course setup covering 4,786 to 6,474 yards. Book tee times online at your convenience on their website.
Landis Creek Golf Club
765 N. Lewis Road, Limerick
Now under new ownership with a new name, the club is an 18-hole public golf course, the grounds are open and ready to welcome visitors. Schedule a convenient tee time online via their website and take in the pristine, landscaped grounds.
Twin Woods Golf Course
2924 E. Orvilla Road, Hatfield
215-822-9263; must call to schedule a tee time!
Family owned and operated since 1962 and conveniently open each day from dawn until dusk,Twin Woods Golf Course offers a 9-hole course which can be expected to be completed in roughly two hours, no matter if you walk or ride. Enjoy a quick game and still have time to enjoy other activities! Calling to schedule a tee time is highly recommended.
Freddy Hill Driving Range
1440 Sumneytown Pike, Lansdale
Hours: Monday – 10am-9pm; Tuesday-Sunday – 9 am-9pm
Per guidelines surrounding COVID-19, community pools are currently closed, however, this could and may change at any moment.
Towamencin Township Community Pool
895 Weikel Road, Lansdale
While currently closed, Towamencin Township Community Pool has a tentative reopen date of June 27.
We’re outside … now what? Bring your laptop outside for a change of scenery while you work from home. Do some yard work. Exercise. Read a book. Or just go for a walk.
Here’s a list with lots of links of activities you and your family can do while enjoying the fresh air.
Read on a blanket
Have a picnic
Make some chalk art
Classic Kid Games (Mother May I?, Red Light Green Light, Hopscotch, Follow the Leader, and more!)
Remodeling Your Home
Milex Residential – 2020 Happening List Winner for Best Contractor
2310 Big Oak Road, Ste 200, Langhorne
Now more than ever you may be thinking about ways you would like to improve your home. If you’re looking to improve the functionality and square footage of your home, schedule your free consultation with Milex Residential!
To give you some ideas, take a look at these articles:
Spring and summer are typically the busiest seasons for real estate. The blooming flowers, lack of snow, and the desire to be settled into a new home before the school year begins and the cold weather hits again motivates both buyers and sellers. Things are operating a bit differently than usual right now due to the pandemic, but you CAN still buy or sell right now.
Jacqueline Hillgrube – 2020 Happening List Winner for Best Real Estate Agent
Coldwell Banker Hearthside, REALTORS
Full-time Realtor in the Bucks County Area
Licensed in both PA and NJ
Jacqueline Hillgrube has been a trusted realtor in the Bucks County area since 2004. A member of the team at Coldwell Banker Hearthside, she is a member of the International President Circle and the Million Dollar Guild. She is the 2020, 2019 and 2018 Happening List winner in the Real Estate Agent category in Bucks County, and she has the Coldwell Banker Global Luxury designation. Read our interview with Jacqueline here, where we discuss how the things you can do right now to prepare your house to sell and how the pandemic is affecting real estate.
Take a look at this stunning listing:
McCarthy Real Estate
13 Henry Avenue, Feasterville
McCarthy Real Estate can help you with all of your real estate needs in Bucks County, Montgomery County and Philadelphia. Visit their website to preview properties for sale, tour neighborhoods, learn more about listing your property, and get to know the team.
Howard Kredo – Access Mortgage Lending, LLC.
Howard Keto believes that a mortgage should be about building relationships and helping customers find the home loan that’s right for them. As a Mortgage Banker for the past 25 years, he can answer your questions so that you have a clear understanding of what you can comfortably afford. Howard specializes in First Time Homebuyer Programs, FHA, 203K Rehabilitation Loans as well as all conventional and Jumbo Products. “Many loan officers can help get a loan. My mission is to help my clients find the home loan that is right for them.”
During this time, Howard has been publishing videos on Facebook on Mondays to share mortgage news: