What do a Screwdriver, Sex on the Beach and Harvey Wallbanger have in common? Ridiculous names and vodka, of course!
Whether distilled from potatoes, wheat, rice, corn or even quinoa, there are as many ways to make vodka as there are to enjoy it on this #NationalVodkaDay, Wednesday, October 4.
Places in PA and NJ to toast to National Vodka Day
- Fans of the 15 P.J. Whelihan’s throughout NJ and PA know that the P.J.’s Krush is where it’s at. $5 gets you a cocktail made with fresh watermelon or orange juice, Three Olives vodka and triple sec.
- From 9 p.m. – 12 a.m., specialty cocktails are half off at Landmark Americana in University City. That includes Moscow Mules (only $4!) and Stoli Punch, $6.
- If you’re more of a home bartender, Lansdale-based Boardroom Spirits sells their double gold award winning vodka at PA Fine Wine & Good Spirits stores for $20. Their FRESH line of infused vodkas in Cranberry ($25), Citrus ($25) and Ginger ($27) are available too and made from real, fresh ingredients with no dyes, concentrates, juices or added sugars.
- Aldine’s take on the cosmopolitan is refreshing departure from the sugary sweet pink drinks that come to mind. Using only Boardroom Spirits’ FRESH Cranberry Vodka, triple sec and fresh lime, the result is perfectly tart, $13.
3 Facts About Vodka
1. Vodka originated as a medicinal agent in the 8th century.
2. Today, one out of every three spirits sold is vodka. (According to the Distilled Spirts Council.)
3. The number of distillations is not a marker of quality, it is the mark of how many times a product had to be distilled to reach 95%, the formula for vodka. Most well-equipped distillers, Boardroom included, can reach this number with four to five distillations.
Boardroom Cosmo recipe:
2 oz. FRESH Cranberry Vodka
1 oz. Boardroom Triple Sec
½ oz. fresh lime juice
lime or orange peel for garnish
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add vodka, triple sec and lime juice. Cover and shake vigorously until well chilled, about one minute. Strain and pour into a chilled martini glass and garnish with fruit peel.