Montgomery County is home to sprawling farm land and of course, plenty of farm to table treats. Celebrate local eats statewide on Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 11:45 a.m. at the Pennsylvania Farm Show in Harrisburg.
Known as the “Mushroom Capital of the World,” Pennsylvania mushroom farms have been growing mushrooms in the Commonwealth for more than 120 years. The 57 mushroom farms in the state produced 64 percent of all U.S. white mushrooms, valued at $559.9 million, last year. PA mushroom farms are family-owned and operated, some for as many as four generations.
Ever wonder how or where mushrooms are grown? Be sure to go on a Mushroom Farm Tour right at the PA Farm Show, featuring a first-hand look at how one of Pennsylvania’s top crops is grown. Pennsylvania produces more mushrooms than any other state in the U.S.A. Look for a giant Mush Room to start your tour!
This eye-opening mushroom-growing exhibit at the PA Farm Show highlights the growing process from raw materials to compost, from spawn to the delicious finished product. Visitors will walk through the display to see growing trays straight from a mushroom farm. Mushroom growers will be on hand to discuss the various stages of white and brown mushroom production and the fascinating growing process of shiitake, oyster, maitake, and other specialty varieties.
Other event highlights will include:
- Mushroom Farmers of Pennsylvania’s #Blenditarian specials including the back-by-popular-demand juicy Blue Ribbon Mushroom Blended Burger with 30% mushrooms and 70% beef, topped with thick Pennsylvania Bacon and sizzling Grilled Portabellas finished with a special sauce and served on a famous Martin’s Potato Roll along with lettuce, tomato, onion and cheese.
- Pennsylvania Dairymen’s Association 65th Birthday Legen-DAIRY delicious vanilla and chocolate shake.
- 40th Anniversary of the Mushroom Farmers of Pennsylvania’s Unrivaled Golden Breaded Mushrooms.
- Fill A Glass With Hope® Benefit & PA Dairymen’s Birthday Celebration Challenge during the Food Court Opening on January 5th!
- PennAg will offer a great variety of their top-selling delicious, poultry and fish choices, as well as hot, soft pretzels, and pretzel rolls filled with ham and cheese! For those looking for breakfast, stop by for a hot, oven fresh breakfast pretzel roll. Options include: ham, egg and cheese; sausage, egg and cheese, egg and cheese.
- The Pork Producers Council invite Farm Show attendees to visit the popular sow and litter at the Diversity on Display exhibit in Expo Hall. While there take a picture at the pig chair, experience a 360 virtual tour of a farm and take the opportunity to #thankapigfarmer who is “Making’ the Bacon.”
- Back and better than ever, PennAg is excited to have the duck slide and chick hatch display back at the Farm Show. The display will now be located in the Exposition Hall at the Poultry Pod. Special thanks to Farmer Boy Ag for building both the duckling slide, chick incubators and layer housing. Also, thank you to Purina for supplying the feed for the ducklings and chicks.