Habitat for Humanity of Montgomery County, PA (HFHMC) and ReStore Montco are proud to announce the beginning of the UpCycle Challenge. If you think that you can transform a plain space into a Pinterest worthy room with upcycled items? Then, this the challenge is for you!
Before HFHMC fills their brand new home with a partner family, they would like YOU to design your own space in one of the rooms using ReStore Montco building materials, furniture and home furnishings, as well as, your own goods for the chance to win ReStore Montco gift cards. This is not only a wonderful opportunity for both professional and amateur designers to flex their skills, but also to showcase how we can save landfill space and disposal fees by reusing, restoring, reclaiming and repurposing used materials into fabulous new pieces.
To participate please fill out the UpCycle Challenge application. All contestants will be notified by March 4th. Once notified, you will be randomly assigned a room and can schedule a time to view the house and room. You will have until Saturday, March 15, to “shop” ReStore Montco for your larger items (on our tab, of course). We will have the furniture delivered to the home early the following week. You may “shop” ReStore Montco during normal business hours to pick out smaller goods that you can transport yourself.
So, what’s in it for you? There will be two home tours for the grand revealing of the rooms on April 19 and April 26. The home tours will be well-advertised and open to the public for a small fee to vote on their favorite room. All proceeds from the home tours will benefit HFHMC programs in Montgomery County, PA. There will be a VIP Open House to announce the winners on Tuesday, April 29. First place, a $100 ReStore Montco gift certificate, will go to the UpCycle Challenge contestant who received the most votes. The second place UpCycle Challenge contestant will win a $50 gift certificate. A randomly chosen audience member will win a $25 gift certificate. So, make sure to bring your friends to the viewing (because their votes count, too). All of this information will also be featured on HFHMC’s website, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter pages.
About ReStore Montco
ReStore Montco is a nonprofit home improvement store and donation center. It sells new and gently used building supplies, furniture, home accessories, and appliances to the public at a fraction of the retail price. All proceeds support Habitat for Humanity programs in Montgomery County, PA. Donations are tax deductible.
ReStore Montco Hours
Wednesday to Friday: 9 am to 5 pm
Saturday: 9 am to 2 pm
Sunday to Tuesday: Closed
Official Contest Rules
• All furniture must come from ReStore Montco. As many other items as possible should be borrowed from the ReStore Montco as well, such as tchotchkes, mirrors, candles, paintings, etc. We highly encourage the alteration of ReStore Montco items. They will be sold after the UpCycle Challenge in ReStore Montco. All proceeds benefit Habitat for Humanity of Montgomery County, PA.
• Designers will have until March 15 to pick out their larger items that need to be delivered. We can only deliver items once.
• Designers may come to the ReStore Montco to acquire smaller items at any business hour.
• Business hours are Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 9-5 and Saturday from 9-2.*
• All ReStore Montco items will be borrowed free of charge.
• Any materials you may need to purchase outside of ReStore Montco will be on your own dime. All contestants must keep to a $500 budget and must hold all receipts to prove this budget. Designers will be given a tax write off for these purchases.
• Each room will be randomly assigned.
• Any change to the permanent structure of the house will not be permitted. This includes, but is not limited to, pulling out carpet, changing up closets, etc. However, the room does not need to be designed as intended for the home. For instance, if you have been given a bedroom, you can design it as a study, den, kid’s playroom, etc. Wherever your creativity takes you!
• We will schedule the designers one day with our skilled construction workers to assist with electrical work and other skilled labor needs.
• Designers may work and bring a team to help finish the projects on time. Each time will be limited to a maximum number of 3 people in the house at the time, to prevent complaints from neighbors.
• Designers will be allowed in the house anytime between 9am and 10pm. However, the hours between 8pm and 10pm will be designated quiet hours and will be strictly enforced. We do not want to wake up the lovely kids next door!
*If you have difficulty coming to ReStore Montco during these hours, please contact us. We will do our best to work with you!