Everyone deserves a quick getaway whether near or far to explore a new environment. Why not kill two birds with one stone, and try out a new possible area to live in Montco? Whether you’re from Montgomery County or not, there are plenty of historical, modern, elevated short-term rentals to give you a taste of living in different towns of the county.
Check out our list of tips for renting and the unique homes in the area to try before you buy!
Tips & Tricks for Rentals
Business terms of service and policies are undoubtedly fluid. This can leave consumers feeling confused and frustrated if expectations are not met and these tips we hope will help prevent those situations! See below our tips and tricks to help you book a short-term rental.
- To use Airbnb or Vrbo, you need to be at least 18 years of age.
- As of the summer of 2020, Airbnb established a new rule that restricts some U.S. guests under the age of 25 from booking an entire home in their local area. This was in an effort to reduce the number of unauthorized house parties. In summary, U.S. guests under 25 with less than three positive reviews are not able to book an entire home close to their place of residence. However, those under 25 that don’t meet those requirements are still able to book private rooms and hotel rooms through Airbnb regardless of where they live.
- Airbnb also uses an anti-party sensor to detect reservations at risk. This year, Airbnb developed a new technology to get a sense of each potential guest. For instance, the app will track the history of reviews, length of trip, how far away the guest is from the destination, what time of the week he or she is booking, and more. This is all in an effort to identify possible risks for private homeowners.
- Before looking, narrow down what area you would like to stay in, how many people you’re staying with, how many bedrooms you need, etc. Know what you’re looking for before diving in. The filters on Vrbo and Airbnb will help you find listings with your requirements without getting overwhelmed by too many options.
- The factors around renting a home vary from property owner to property owner. At some locations, you may be allowed a more lenient cancelation policy. At others, you may be allowed to pay half of the price before the trip and the rest to follow. Pets, check-in, check-outs, and more will vary as well. Furthermore, on Vrbo, the minimum age to rent will vary from rental to rental. Be sure to thoroughly read through the rental description and if you have any questions, message the host.
- Renting a home is different than renting a hotel. If you need new towels or sheets, you must wash them. The same goes for toilet paper, soap, trash bags, etc. If you expect to use a lot for the number of people you have, pack some of these essentials.
- Read reviews! Don’t judge a booking by only its beautiful decor and views. Make sure to read the reviews, especially the most recent ones. If a guest acknowledges a problem, take note if the owner responds. You don’t want to be dealing with more than you bargained for upon arrival.
A Sneak Peak at Living in Montgomery County
Country Home in Hatfield
This country home fits 12 guests with eight beds and three baths — perfect for a family stay to explore the Montgomery area! The home is in a prime location to explore the town of Hatfield as a possible place to live. It’s close to several restaurants, shops, School Road Park, the Laymen Playmen theatre, the Morgan Log House, and more.
This home is nestled in a quiet, family-friendly neighborhood close to downtown North Wales where many restaurants, attractions, landmarks, parks, and more await. The three-story charming home hosts eight guests with five bedrooms and one and a half baths. It also includes a fully equipped kitchen and a fireplace that warmingly accompanies the rustic scene. Try before you buy with your family at this humble abode.
North Wales Historic & Spacious Oasis
Photo Credit: Host Katelyn Lay
Private Cozy Home in East Norriton Township
A welcoming home for 6 guests is waiting for you in Norristown. With amenities such as an outdoor deck, patio, pool, full kitchen, and more, how could one pass up? The home is conveniently near the Norristown Transportation Center, the Elmwood Park Zoo, Norristown Farm Park, and King of Prussia, where you can shop until you drop! In addition, the Schuylkill River flows nearby where guests can go for a walk, bike ride, or run to enjoy the outdoors. Get a feel for Norristown at this spacious property!
This 1700s stone farmhouse is two connected but separate homes with four bedrooms and one and a half baths. It also includes great outdoor space offering a patio, spacious lawn, fire pit, swing set, basketball net, corn hole set, and a front and rear porch to take advantage of. Also, be sure to explore the town of Harleysville which features many restaurants, breweries, golf courses, hiking trails, and more.
Fieldstone Farmhouse Guest Suite
Photo Credit: Host Wanda
Morgan Hughes Homestead
Feel like you’re on the higher side of life by staying at this historic 1714 home with four bedrooms and four and a half baths. Take in the courtyard, pool, pool house, game room, and more! There are also various local attractions near the home for you and your family to get a great sense of the area, such as Spring Mountain, Valley Forge National Park, Fonthill Castle, Elmwood Park Zoo, and Philadelphia attractions about an hour away.
Located only 30 minutes from Center City Philadelphia and an arms stretch to the town of Blue Bell and nearby Ambler, sits this beautiful farmhouse. Explore the home’s gardens, the views of the Willow Run stream, and look for some wildlife throughout the day such as songbirds! The home is also across the street from a golf course and on a road with just four other homes. Be sure to check out the area to get a feel for what Blue Bell has in store.
Photo Credit: Host Matthew
Discover More in Montco!
Need some assistance in finding activities, restaurants, shops, and more to explore? We are happy to help! Read through our Outdoors Guide, check out our favorite shops in town, and more on our website for some of the top places to discover, eat, drink, shop and explore.