The cold winter months are a hot time for romance with most engagements happening between Christmas and Valentine’s Day. If you just got engaged, now’s the time to plan, shop and search for the latest ideas and creative touches to make your big day uniquely special.
We’ve taken some of the load off your to-do list by researching the top wedding trends for 2019. And to make it even easier, we’ve provided suggestions on where to shop among MontCo’s Happening List businesses. Take notes and let the planning begin!
It’s All About the Dress
Gowns: The two big royal weddings in 2018 put a big focus on dress styles. Not surprisingly, popular gown styles this year reflect simple, yet glamorous, designs. A sleek profile will require a good fit and proper tailoring to get that perfect look. Other trending options this season:
- Crystal embellishments
- Sheer capes
- Halterneck styles
- Two-in -one designs that pair down for dancing at the reception
Wedding party attire: The official colors for 2019 are coral and rust. Available in a variety of subtle shades, they pair beautifully with greens and other florals. If you are planning a fall or winter wedding, consider velvet gowns as an option as well as groomsmen’s tuxedos.
Hair & Makeup: Less is more with subtle shades of makeup for a natural look. Also trending:
- Loose buns
- Messy updo’s
- A tiara that complements your gown
- Nail art in place of the traditional pink blush
Where to find the looks:
View this post on Instagram
Mixed-Up Wedding Parties
Speaking of your wedding party, the latest trend is toward gender-neutral wedding parties. Now anyone you consider your bestie can stand by you on your big day. The move from tradition gives your honored friends a variety of names including “bridesmen” or “groomsgirls” or other creative titles such as the “I Do Crew.” And no more girls on the left, guys on the right – mix it up and have fun with the wardrobe choices.
Simple, uncomplicated bouquets are taking the stage this year with an emphasis on using a variety of interesting foliage. Statement-making grasses, floral arches and backdrops that serve as alters are also big. Many venues and designers are bringing the outdoors inside. Install lush floral arrangements, including large trees and botanicals in both the ceremony and reception spaces.
Where to Find it: Event Loft; www.eventloftpa.com
While traditional country clubs, barns, historic buildings and scenic outdoor spots are still trending (as evidenced by last year’s Happenings List winners), other unexpected spots like breweries, distilleries and greenhouses are becoming popular.
Where to Find it: The Fairmount Park Horticulture Center; hortevents.com
Theme is not just about a color palette that determines dress color and accents in ribbons, table settings and cakes. Themes now feature favorite hobbies, TV shows and even include experiential fun with specialty drinks, magicians and visits from characters (think Elvis impersonator or a storm trooper).
Invitations that Make a Statement
Get your guests all the info they need to get to your big event with an out-of-the box invitation. Custom designs can be pricey, so get your money’s worth by carrying your designs through your entire stationary suite. Use it on save-the-date, invitations, welcome information, reception signage and place cards. Here’s what’s trending:
- Highly personalized designs
- Laser cut designs or custom hand-illustrated artwork
- Edgy fonts
- Unique mediums like acrylic, velum, leather or wood
Where to find it: Paper Rock Scissors; www.paper-rock-scissors.com
- Minimalist designs are trending this year, featuring simple, yet elegant designs for receptions. Utilize clean lines and a simple palette with two or three colors to pull it off. Rustic features like wood tables, reclaimed pieces, colorful stuff chairs and vintage items create charm and warmth.
- Create ambiance by adding specialty lighting -add cutwork lanterns or hang candles from trees.
- Use banquet tables rather than many round tables. Longer joined tables improve conversation and the wedding couple doesn’t sit on display.
- As the reception begins, skip the hors d’œuvres and treat your guests to a charcuterie board or a variety of other options on a grazing table. Feature a selection of specialty cocktails or have your favorite beer on tap from a local brewery.
Showstopper cakes are making a comeback with elaborate painted icings, fondant and icing flowers. You may need to go to a bakery that specializes in unique designs to get the look you want. Don’t forget the inside – choose colorful layers that coordinate with your theme.
Where to find it: Kriebel’s Bakery Cafe; www.kriebelscustombakery.com
Gifts for Guests
Give guests a special thank you for joining in the celebration. Personalization is key but you have lots of room for creativity. Gifts can reflect one of your hobbies as a couple or be just plain fun. Trending gifts to consider:
- Personalized Wine/beer favors
- Scented candles
- Small potted plants or seed packets
- Miniature liquor bottles
- Specialty food products, cookies or chocolates
Gone are the days of rice. Big this year? Colorful confetti or color coordinated smoke bomb send-offs. Check with your photographer for how and when to pull it off.
Well, happy planning your wonderful event! We’ve only provided you with links to the 2018 Happenings List winners, but there are so many more great spots to try in MontCo. Check the entire Happening List by clicking here for a great shopping spot near you.