Happy New Year, Montgomery County! After a hectic holiday season full of sweet temptations, it’s time to launch into the New Year with our very best intentions and more importantly, a plan to achieve them. There are tons of resources available at your fingertips in Montgomery County that will help you meet your 2015 New Year’s Resolutions.
Eat fresh & local at these Montgomery County Coops and Farmers Markets:
Ambler Farmers Market Lindenwold Ave near Butler Ave., Ambler, PA The market is open every Saturday, May – October, 9am – 1pm, in the SEPTA parking lot, on the corner of Butler and Maple Ave.
Dresher Farm Market 2038 Limekiln Pike, Dresher, PA For 65 years, Dreshner Farm Market has supported nearby farmers, bakers, chefs, horticulturists and craftsmen. Monday through Friday from 10am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 5pm, and Sunday 11am to 4pm.
Glenside Farmers Market Train Station, Easton Rd & Glenside Ave., Glenside, PA Every Saturday Rain or Shine from 9am to 1pm April through November.
Hatboro Farmers Market Hatboro Baptist Church, 32 N. York Road, Hatboro, PA The 2014 Hatboro Farmers’ Market will begin in May and run through October, every Friday from 6:00pm until dusk.
Indian Valley Farmers Market Penn Avenue and Main Street, The Marketplace at Telford Station, Telford, PA The Market is Open Saturdays from June 21st to October 18th from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm. This producer only market features local farm fresh food, baked goods & crafters too!
Lansdale Farmers Market 100 W, Main Street, Lansdale, PA (Railroad Avenue and Main Street) Peak-of-season produce as well as other locally produced food such as baked goods, meats, cheeses, seafood & more. Shop for your garden, unique crafts, enjoy live music and face painting for the kids. Every Saturday 9am to 1pm from May 17th to November 1st.
Macungie Farmers Market Macungie Memorial Park, 50 Poplar Street, Macungie, PA The Macungie Farmers Market is a producer/grower market committed to providing locally grown, fresh food; to preserving our agricultural heritage; and to building community. Every Thursday, May 14 to October 29, 2015 from 4:00pm to 7:00 pm
Skippack Farmers Market 4112 Skippack Pk, Skippack, Pennsylvania Stop by after work Friday for eclectic market offerings and food trucks.
For help learning how to maintain a healthier diet, don’t forget to check in with the nominees for Montco’s favorite nutritionists in the 2015 Happening List competition.
When goals are realistic, real results are achievable and more importantly, obtained. No two people are the same. That’s why Denise Terry of Montgomery County’s Realistic Fitness believes that each training program should be tailored to the individual. Whether it be to lose weight, gain strength, or run your first 5k, Denise will work with you to develop realistic goals and to achieve them. She believes fitness can be fun for everyone and makes it her mission to keep your workouts both challenging and enjoyable. Realistic Fitness offers:
- In home private personal training, and the best part is, no equipment is required! Denise has everything you’ll need.
- On-line customized strength training plans – designed for in home with minimal equipment or to be done at the gym
- Corporate strength and running group programs – group programs to help get your employees engaged in healthy activities
- Additionally, coming in early 2015 is Running and Triathlon coaching, which will offer personalized plans to help you reach your running or triathlon related goals.
ALL AGES AND ABILITIES WELCOME! Contact Denise at [email protected] or 734-474-4727 for more info.
RSVP of Montgomery County:
Since 1973, RSVP has been the region’s leading volunteer placement agency for adults. Fill out this form to let RSVP match you up with local volunteer opportunities.
Montgomery County Division of Parks, Trails, and Historic Sites:
The Montgomery County Division of Parks, Trails and Historic Sites welcomes individuals and groups to share their interests and talents at all of our parks, trails, and historic sites by volunteering. Projects can be short- or long-term and in most cases, they can be flexible with the hours and frequency of when you help. Volunteer projects on the countywide trail system can include invasive plant removal, new native plantings, and cleanup along the trails, particularly after storms. Projects are available for groups or individuals.
Montgomery County SPCA
Apply to assist with the Montgomery County SPCA or adopt your own pet!
Women’s Center of Montgomery County
The Women’s Center of Montgomery County is one of the only volunteered-powered domestic violence programs in the region. The Women’s Center requires that each active volunteer contribute at least 52 hours of service per year and participate in at least 8 hours of in-service training on domestic violence and related issues. Apply here.
Conshohocken has a lot of runners and now there is a local company dedicated to supporting their healthy lifestyle. Modern Runner is a subscription service that provides an inexpensive and convenient way for you to use the best sports nutrition products on the market for training and running sessions. Each month subscribers receive a package delivered to their door that contains a hand selected mix of energy bars, gels, healthy organic snacks and more. These packages are personally designed just for you by owner Ryan Graham. Subscriptions start at just $15.00 per month and gluten free options are available. Modern Runner also gives back 10% of its profit to charity and the shipping kit is made from recycled materials and is 100% recyclable. Whether you are getting back into shape or starting a brand new journey, Modern Runner’s goal is to help you reach your running goals. You can learn more about Modern Runner by clicking here.
Discover 2015 race dates in Montgomery County from the local Road Runners Club here.
Use these helpful tools to improve your bank account’s health in 2015!
- Mint: This personal finance management site helps you track and categorize transactions easily and automatically- from setting goals for retirement to paying down debt to creating your budgets. All of these elements are laid out in easy-to-read graphics and pie and bar charts for easy tracking.
- BudgetPulse: For the security-conscious, this budgeting tool doesn’t require users to surrender their banking account information for tracking, and lets users manually enter or import their banking data from computer files.
- BudgetTracker: An online budgeting tool specializing in tracking transactions. The results from the tracking are shown on your calendar and in graphs on the site.
- Buxfer: Track loans and IOUs from friends and family as well as providing group budgeting – a handy tool for vacations and college budgeting.
- moneyStrands: moneyStrands analyzes your spending habits, and generates budgets based on that behavior. It also will create personalized financial tips for each user.