4th of July is right around the corner! And while many of Montgomery County’s usual festivities are cancelled this year, you can still find ways to celebrate Independence Day with your family.
(Please note that many businesses are waiting to hear if we’ll be “green” in time for these events to take place. Details are subject to change.)
EVENTS & THINGS TO DO
“Fireworks” Sale to Support Limerick Fire Department
When: Now through July 4
Where: Waltz Golf Farm, 303 W. Ridge Pike, Limerick
Waltz Golf Farm has sadly cancelled their annual July 4th fireworks show. Unfortunately, this event is typically a huge fundraiser for the Limerick Fire Department. To help with that loss, Waltz Golf Farm is selling washable and reversible firework patterned masks in adult and kid sizes. Masks are handmade by a local resident. Masks are $8 for adults and $5 for child size. All proceeds to to the Limerick Fire Department. Call 610-489-7859 for more information.
Pick-Your-Own at Maple Acres Farm & Market
When: 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., daily
Where: 2656 Narcissa Road, Plymouth Meeting
Pick your own flowers and (hopefully) blueberries! While you’re there, you can also visit some of the animals on the farm, including ducks, chicks, chickens, cows, pigs, ponies and more. Plus, you pick up farm-grown produce such as asparagus and lettuce at the market.
Kiwanis Club of Ambler Independence Day Kick-off Parade
When: Saturday, June 27 at 12:30 p.m.
Where: Streets of Ambler
In lieu of their traditional fireworks and carnival this year, the Kiwanis Club organized a truck parade through many of the borough streets and parts of lower Gwynedd. Stay on your porch or in your yard, and have your earmuffs ready! Be on the lookout for #AmblerStrong swag and treats for the kids.
Elmwood Park Zoo Will Be Open!
When: Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Where: 1661 Harding Boulevard, Norristown
Elmwood Park Zoo is reopening on Friday, June 26, so it’ll be a great way to spend some time during 4th of July Weekend! All tickets must be purchased online in advance, and there are a number of restrictions. See the guidelines at THIS link.
Mini Golf, Batting Cages & Ice Cream at Freddy Hill (Happening List Finalist)
When: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Where: 1440 Sumneytown Pike, Lansdale
Enjoy an activity with the family, and then get some ice cream!
Wawa Welcome America Virtual Activities
When: Sunday, June 28 – Saturday, July 4
Where: Streaming live on welcomeamerica.com
This year, the popular Philly tradition is going virtual with a week of daily livestream concerts, virtual museum tours and behind-the-scenes experiences. On July 4, Cynthia Erivo and Jason Derulo (and others) will perform live from Live Nation’s The Met Philadelphia. The concert will be broadcast on NBC10 as well as online.
Shankweiler’s Drive-In Theatre
When: Nightly with two films (8:50 p.m. and 10:50 p.m.)
Where: 4540 Shankweiler Rd (Route 309), Orefield
They haven’t announced the movie lineup yet, so be sure to check the Facebook page closer to the dates.
FOOD & DRINK
Corn on the cob, barbecue, apple pie, cold beer. There are so many foods that are perfect for celebrating the U S of A! Here’s a list of some local spots that are hosting events, offering outdoor seating or takeout, or are ideal for 4th of July shopping. For even more food ideas, visit the Food & Drink section of our 2020 Summer Guide! We have a great list of frozen treats, seasonal menus and outdoor dining.
Lansdale Farmers Market (2020 Happening List Winner)
When: Saturday, July 4 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Where: 645 W. 9th Street, Lansdale
Shop in the morning on July 4 to get the freshest product around for your Independence Day festivities! The Market is open from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. with 9 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. reserved for Seniors, at-risk shoppers and pre-orders.
Independence Day Celebration at Brothers Kershner Brewing Co.
When: Saturday, July 4 at noon
Where: 4119 Skippack Pike, Skippack
Celebrate the 4th with live music from Mike Greer & Co., food and beer! Masks are required on arrival and exit. Please maintain social distancing. Capacity is limited.
Limerick Bowmen’s Food Truck Frenzy
When: Saturday, July 4 from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Where: 65 Bragg Road, Schwenksville
Come out for a “socially distanced” food truck frenzy to celebrate Independence Day! Bring blankets and chairs to spread out on the lawn or tailgate at your car. Admission and parking are free.
Merrymead Farms (Happening List Finalist)
2222 S. Valley Forge Road, Lansdale
Stop by Merrymead for ice cream, grocery items, homemade pies and more!
Trappe Tavern (2020 Happening List Outdoor Dining Winner)
416 W. Main Street, Trappe
Want to feel like you’re at the beach, even if you’re still in Montco? Visit Trappe Tavern’s deck and beach area for lunch, dinner, or drinks!
Chadwick’s Restaurant & Bar (2020 Happening List Finalist for Outdoor Dining)
2750 Egypt Road, Audubon
This Happening List Finalist is known for its beautiful outdoor patio area. Their summer menu includes favorites such as lump crab cakes, cajun shrimp tacos and pulled BBQ pork. If you want to celebrate the holiday a few days early, visit on Wednesday for their crab leg special!
If you’d rather keep things closer to home, here are some ideas of things you can do with just your family or a few friends.
- Get out the water table, slip n’ slide, water balloons and more! Click HERE for a huge list of water activities you can do in your yard.
- Horse shoes, bocce, croquet, badminton, ladder golf, and more. This is the time to bring out ALL the yard games!
- Challenge your group to some historical trivia with this free printable found HERE.
- Enjoy time outside at one of the local parks. Find a list of suggestions in the Outside Fun section of our 2020 Summer Guide.
- Always a 4th of July favorite … have a traditional backyard barbecue. Visit a local Farmers Market or one of our Happening List Winners such as Olive Lucy to create your spread.
- Go out for ice cream! (Bonus points if you pick flavors/toppings to make your treat look patriotic.) See the Food & Drink section of our 2020 Summer Guide for a list of the area’s best spots for frozen treats.
- Most of the local parades are cancelled this year, but how about letting the kids create their own parade? Decorate bikes, wagons and/or strollers with red, white and blue crepe paper, flags and stars. Dress up, and cue up the patriotic music on your portable speaker, and take a lap around the block.
- Get crafty! There are a ton of patriotic ideas on Pinterest. HERE‘s a link to some crafts for kids to get your started.
- Satisfy everyone’s sweet tooth with a patriotic dessert like one of THESE.
- Make a festive drink for the adults like this Bourbon Slush from Souffle Bombay.
View this post on Instagram