“We Must Always Change, Renew & Rejuvenate Ourselves”
By: Randi Rentz
This month’s Special Shining Moment is the concept of Rejuvenation. When I think about a New Year, I inevitably think about renewal, change and, of course, the opportunity to rejuvenate. According to Webster’s dictionary, rejuvenation means to give new strength or energy to (something).
Sign me up!
Even though it is inevitable and will always – without fail – happen, change (from the teensy things to the big ones!) is difficult for many people to handle. When dealing with change, I believe that it is imperative to look at it from the perspective of having a choice, i.e., “I can be devastated or paralyzed by it” or “I can grow from it.”
As the New Year begins (still can’t believe it), I find myself determined to grow more happiness from change. Grow happiness. Ahhhh, what a concept. I feel inspired and motivated by the (active!) role that I will continue to have in cultivating my own happiness by making a change in my spiritual, physical and emotional being.
Some of the ways that I – literally – grow my own happiness on a daily basis include:
- Physical health in the form of exercise (yoga especially), sleep and good nutrition.
- Gratitude journal. Each and every day, I write down a minimum of three things for which I am grateful and I take the time to really think about each and every one.
- Spend time with people I cherish because, after all, relationships are core to our sense of well-being and happiness.
- Challenge myself by learning something new. My brain always feels energized and I feel more alive when I engage in something I have never done or known.
- Smile. Literally. On days when I’m feeling down or grumpy, sometimes – especially when driving in a car – I will just smile. Boy oh boy does that ever help!
It’s not to say that change, rejuvenation and finding happiness are easy. No way, no how. Even good change can be challenging. But if we think about playing an active role in our response to whatever we face, then – depending on the choice that you make – you may just find a Shining Moment or two and true happiness!
Alway remember that you’re never too old to make a change, set another goal, or to dream a new dream. This is a great Shining Moment in life!
Wishing you a month of rejuvenation, strength, energy, and happiness!