If the Valley Forge Beer Festival on December 10th doesn’t sound appealing or is not “family-oriented” enough, the Narberth Dickens festival is for you! This free event held in downtown Narberth draws thousands of people a year and is boasted as “the fastest growing holiday festival in the Philadelphia Area.” The idea behind the festival is to bring the characters and setting of Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” to life. As today’s society now seems to focus Christmas around shopping and more shopping, this event is a welcomed escape from the malls.
From what we have heard, the Dickens Festival is a first-class event and has plenty to keep attendants busy for the entire duration. From horse and carriage rides, to Victorian carolers, this event really encompasses the whole 19th century London era. Did I mention they even have free hot toddies? Below are the event details, please visit us on Facebook to share photos of your experience this year at the Dickens Festival.
What: A festival celebrating Dickens’ “A Christmas Caroler” that transforms downtown Narberth into an 1800’s London setting. Below is a list of events obtained from the Narberth Online website, please visit it for further information.
- Ebeneezer Scrooge and all the characters from “A Christmas Carol”
- dozens of period-authentic costumed performers
- free scavenger hunt & free prize for kids – 1pm to 3pm or while prize supplies last
- horse and carriage rides through the Narberth streets
- professional musicians
- authentic Victorian carolers
- free craft activities for kids
- professional ice sculpting display
- free fortunes from “gypsy fortunetellers”
- free showing of A Muppet Christmas Carol – 11am at the Narberth Movie theater
- free vintage “Punch and Judy” puppet show performances – see event website for “Dickens Theater” showtimes
- free “Nutcracker” dance performances from the Pennsylvania Academy of Ballet – see event website for “Dickens Theater” showtimes
- Dickens “tattoos” and face painting for kids
- free hot toddies from local establishments in any souvenir mug
- free coffee and hot chocolate in any souvenir tin cup
- period-authentic vendors and street food
When: December 10th, Noon-4PM
Where: Downtown Narberth