Local resident, teacher and Montco Happening guest writer Randi Rentz is back with her take on finding shining moments and joy this holiday season!
Finding Joy During the Holiday Season: by Randi Rentz
Choosing to find Shining Moments is, I believe, akin to choosing to find Joy. Sometimes – especially during the holiday season – joy just presents itself and one can’t help but be delighted by it. Other times – under the stress of shopping, parties and fatigue – finding joy becomes more challenging and requires making a concerted choice. In other words, If I want to change my feelings (e.g., grumpy about having to go out when I just want to snuggle on the sofa with Harlow or Henna (cats), then I have to change my thoughts.
Here are five things that I’m doing to cultivate and find joy during this holiday season.
- Practice yoga. After my commitment to go to 2 yoga classes a week in November, I have officially become a devotee. I get the joyous yogi buzz after every single class, from hatha yoga. I’ve never felt anything like it, actually, and whenever I don’t want to go, I am easily persuaded to go, knowing how happy I will feel after!
- Give your time. Visit a friend or loved one whom you don’t see very often. Call a few special people on the phone—not via text or email—and spend some time finding out what’s really going on in their lives.
- Practice random acts of kindness. Put money in expired parking meters (one of my personal faves!), pick up litter, smile at a stranger, hold the door for somebody. The more people you help feel good, the more joy you will feel.
- Give gratitude. Tell someone how much they add to your life, how they help make you a better person, how they make you smile—and thank them for it.
- Watch a movie. My favorite, joy-inducing movies include:
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- The Princess Bride
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- The Blind Side
Where and how do you find joy during the holiday season? Leave your comments below, and don’t forget to check out Randi’s personal blog at, http://randirentz.com. We look forward to hearing from you!